Skip to content

What to Do if You Can't Pay Your Mortgage:

If you're having trouble making your mortgage payments, please read the following information. There are resources available to help you do the following:

  • Develop a plan to bring your loan current,
  • Adjust your monthly payments to better fit your financial situation, or
  • Skip a payment in the case of temporary employment hardship, such as a layoff or medical leave. 

The Following Organizations Can Provide Foreclosure Prevention Options:

  • A federal government program to support homeowners struggling with unemployment, though targeted foreclosure prevention.
  • HUD-certified housing counselors can be reached by calling: 800.569.4287
  • A resource provided by Fannie Mae.
  • Foreclosure prevention and information program run by Washington State.

If You Do Talk to Someone Regarding Your Loan, Make Sure You Have the Following:

  • A copy of your pay stubs for the last 2 months
  • Bank statements for the last 2 months
  • Your monthly household expense budget
  • A completed Financial Statement Form

Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) Benefits:

Eligible servicemembers and their spouses or civil partners may receive:

  • Foreclosure protection
  • Fee protection
  • A special loan modification program for those facing financial challenges
  • A reduced mortgage interest rate without fees or refinancing

These benefits last for 12 months after the end of Active Duty Orders. If you are an active duty member of the military, including the Reserves or the National Guard, and your loan was originated prior to your active duty date, you may be eligible for benefits.

Remember, we're always here to help. Please call 206.281.1500, visit Stateside Legal online, or contact us to learn more about the SCRA or any of these programs.